Telecom data can change the way we understand human behavior and complement existing instruments of data collection. We strive to empower the global community with new data sources and open technologies. We are developing tools to process and analyze telecom data by drawing on our experiences in data analysis and capacity building – work with regulators, MNOs, and international organizations such as ITU, ADB, and the World Bank. We hope our tools help the development community use telecom data for producing actionable information, which will inform decision-making and facilitate inclusive and sustainable development.
Open-source software – Mobipack
Mobipack Standalone and Mobipack Hadoop are open-source software under the MIT license. Its development was initiated by The University of Tokyo, and enhanced by the support of ITU and MIC, Japan in 2015 to demonstrate the possibility of the use of telecom data for the epidemic control. Additional modules were developed through the support of GPSDD (one of 10 Development Data Innovation Projects. Complementing the population census in Sri Lanka) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (GCE award for the malaria analytics in Mozambique) in 2017/18. Currently, it is maintained by Spatial Data Commons – a joint effort by The University of Tokyo and LocationMind Inc.
Spatial Data Commons on GitHub
This software is licensed under the MIT License.
Copyright (c) 2020 Spatial Data Commons
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the “Software”), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
Mobipack Standalone is designed to help users get statistics, indicators, and visualizations of population movements using telecom data
Modules and outputs
- A tool for de-identifying identifiable value in Data such as the IMEI, IMSI, and phone number. It is Java application that can be run in any operating system and also support running anonymization with multi-thread to speed up the process. Using a machine with a GPU will make encoding faster.
- GitHub: De-identification tool
- A set of software for route interpolation. Telecom data are intermittent because it is generated only when the mobile phone is used. The route interpolation helps reconstruct such missing parts based on road networks with interpolation techniques.
- This module includes tools for dwelling point extraction, trip segmentation, spatial disaggregation to POIs, and route interpolation using transportation networks.
- GitHub: Interpolation package
Visualization – Mobmap online
- An online tool for visualization and analysis of mobility/trajectory data such as telecom data. It supports color labeling, various marker styles, and data filters.
- GitHub: Mobmap online
Visualization – Mobmap Win App
- A windows application of the Mobmap online. It supports much larger data size compared to the Mobmap Online.
GitHub: Mobmap Native Win
- A set of tools for creating/extracting infrastructure data files/databases from OSM (OpenStreetMap) such as PoI data for reallocation, road network data for route interpolation, and Voronoi cells of cell towers.
- GitHub: Infrastructure Updates
Like the Mobipack Standalone, Mobipack Hadoop is a set of tools written in Python for analyzing de-identified telecom data based on the Hadoop platform that supports a massive amounts of data. This includes modules for Visualization, Origin-Destination (OD) estimation, and interpolation.
Modules and outputs
- Visualization (with reports and processed data compatible with other visualization platforms)
- GitHub: Statistics
- GitHub: Origin-Destination
- GitHub: Interpolation